Shooting nightclub closed 30 days

PHUKET: The nightlife spot where a sword-wielding man was shot dead by a pub security guard last week has been closed for 30 days for late trading.

The official notice was served on Friday (August 5), with the closure order in effect until September 3. According to the ordinance, the place “is considered a place where illegal acts and behavior are contrary to public order or morality. ”

The venue was eventually identified by Phuket officials on Friday as ‘Sod’ (which depending on the context can mean ‘fresh’, ‘single’ or ‘live’, as in ‘live music’), located at 445/ 1 Phuket Rd, Talad Yai, Phuket Town. The venue was previously known as Nai Mueang Phuket Pub and Karaoke Bar, located opposite Phuket Customs on Phuket Rd, just 200 meters from Phuket Immigration.

While the order was signed by Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew, the announcement marking the shutdown order listed more than a dozen high-ranking local officers involved in the investigation, including officers senior police.

The closure order also followed the site operator being given four days to try to explain why the site was open so late.

Initial reports said police were called to the scene at 5:50 a.m., but official reports later said the shooting happened around 5 a.m.

Yet according to the announcement made by Phuket officials last Friday, the statement made to officials by the site operator indicates that the incident happened shortly after 4am.

According to the venue operator, patrons were outside the venue waiting for heavy rains to subside to return home. Apparently they had been waiting for hours.

At around 4am, 27-year-old Phuket Town resident Traitaewit ‘Got’ Chindamaikul attacked a group with a sword after an altercation with a woman at the pub. A person was seriously injured in a finger, said the operator of the site, not identified by officials.

In response, pub security guard Chaiwat ‘Od’ Chuwong, 35, drew his Glock 9mm handgun and shot Mr Traitaewit once in the chest, killing him. Traitaewit’s body was found next to his white pick-up truck in the parking lot, more than 20 yards from the front of the club. Bloodstains were on the side of the van showing that he had fallen there.

Mr. Chaiwat waited for police at the scene and immediately returned the handgun used in the shooting.

Phuket officials’ announcement last Friday said Mr Chaiwat was not allowed to carry a firearm at the scene.

However, it has not been confirmed what charges, if any, he will face for the transgression.

Officials did not confirm what charges, again, if any, Mr. Chaiwat would face for the fatal shooting.

More than a week after the shooting, aside from their initial reports on August 1, Phuket City Police and Phuket Provincial Police have yet to make any public statements regarding their investigation into the shooting.

Richard Dement

The author Richard Dement